Date: 16th August 2008 at 8:28pm
Written by:

The Mariners went into the game looking to remain unbeaten this season following their opening day draw against Rochdale and a win against Tranmere in the League Cup.

Brentford were looking to score their first goal of the season after losing to Bury in their opening day fixture 1-0 and then getting knocked out the League Cup to Swansea 2-0.

Charlie MacDonald got an early header in for Brentfoed but could only send the ball over the bar.

Andy Taylor got into the area for the Mariners and tried to lob the keeper who came of his line but ended up sending the ball over the bar.

Town were awarded a free kick after a foul by Brett Johnson on Taylor. Tom Newey took the free kick and came close to scoring but Brentford`s keeper Ben Hamer dived to his right to keep Newey`s attempt out.

Brentford then took the lead after 27 minutes when MacDonald shot into the top left of goal to beat Town`s keeper Phil Barnes. BRENTFORD 1 GRIMSBY 0.

Brentford then had a corner that was taken by Kevin O`Connor and he sent the ball to the far post where Chris Llewellyn was to clear the danger.

MacDonald then looked to try and double Brentford`s lead but his shot was blocked by Matt Heywood.

Nathan Elder then doubled Brentford`s lead 11 minutes later after putting a low shot into the back of the net. BRENTFORD 2 GRIMSBY 0.

Has the game approached half-time Brentford scored a third, Marvin Williams found MacDonald and he kept the ball low and put it into the net. BRENTFORD 3 GRIMSBY 0.

The half-time whistle came and the Mariners would have a lot of work to do to get back into the game.


Alan Buckley made a change at half-time with Andy Taylor being replaced by Nick Hegarty.

The Mariners had the first chance of the second half 5 minutes in when Simon Heslop had a shot but it was comfortably saved by Hamer.

Brentford then scored a fourth on 60 minutes when Elder found Glenn Poole and he kept his shot low to put the ball in the bottom left of goal. BRENTFORD 3 GRIMSBY 0.

Alan Buckley then made his second change of the game with Chris Llewellyn being replaced by Danny North on 62 minutes.

Nick Hegarty tried to pull a goal back for the Mariners but could only send his shot over the bar.

Brentford then won a corner that was taken by Poole and he sent it to the far post but Hegarty managed to clear it.

Brentford then made a change on 74 minutes when Marvin Williams was replaced by Moses Ademola.

Matt Hewood was shown the yellow card on 78 minutes for a foul on Nathan Elder.

Brentford continued the pressure and MacDonald tried a shot but sent the ball wide of the goal.

Brentford made their second change on 87 minutes when Alan Bennett was replaced by Mark Phillips.

The referee blew for the final whistle and the travelling Town supporters will be going home disappointed with Town`s performance.


Do you have a passion for writing and a passion for the Mariners, if so, Vital Grimsby would like to hear from you. We are looking for a match preview/reporter for this season. If this roll interests you then please contact Vital Grimsby and you could be writing our match previews and match reports.