Date: 15th April 2008 at 10:01pm
Written by:

Grimsby played host to Wycombe tonight but a poor attendance seen the Mariners lose by one goal.

Town started well and got a shot in early after Nathan Jarman got the ball to Martin Butler who then tried a shot but Wycombe`s keeper, Frank Fielding, tipped the ball past the post.

Paul Bolland then sent a cross and Jarman got his head to the ball but headed wide before Scott McGleish sent a volley in but Town`s keeper Phillip Barnes caught hold of the ball.

Town got another chance to have a shot when they won a corner on 14 minutes. Danny Boshell took the corner and Nick Fenton got his head to the ball but sent the ball wide of the goal.

Wycombe then were given a free kick after a foul by Boshell on Russell Martin. Martin took the free kick and Delroy Facey got his head to the ball but Barnes managed to tip it past the post.

Wycombe then got the only goal of the game when Delroy Facey passed the ball to Sergio Torres. Torres shot low and out of reach of Barnes to give Wycombe the lead after 19 minutes. GRIMSBY 0 WYCOMBE 1.

Wycombe continued to look dangerous Torres headed towards goal after a cross from Craig Woodman but his header was saved by Barnes.

Facey got a shot in after 31 minutes but Barnes caught hold of the ball. Just over a minute later Barnes fumbled a shot from Tommy Doherty but Wycmobe failed to react and the score remained 1-0 to the Wanderers.

Facey then tried another shot but his attempt was blocked by Rob Atkinson to go out for a corner. Russell Martin sent the to the far post but no one was there to act and the Ball ended up with Doherty who tried a shot but it was blocked by Fenton before the Mariners defence finally cleared the ball.

Nathan Jarman then tried to pull a goal back for Town but his shot went wide. Alan Buckley then decided to make a change on 42 minutes with Nick Fenton being replaced by Ciaran Toner.

Has the game approached half time, Town pushed up in the hope of going into the break level but Toner`s cross was caught by Fielding. The half time whistle went and Town go in trailing and heading towards another defeat.


The Mariners started well in the second half and Jarman tried a shot but his effort was blocked by Leon Johnson.

Town got forward again and Nick Hgarty got a cross in but Woodman cleared for a corner. Peter Till sent the ball to the centre where Bolland tried a shot but it was blocked by Gary Holt.

Wycombe then were the team on the attack and McGleish got a shot in after 59 minutes but the ball deflected of Barnes before Stefan Oakes got the rebound and his shot from over 35 yards hit the post.

Town still had not cleared the ball and Oakes got another shot in but the ball went wide of the goal.

Buckley then made his second change of the night when Martin Butler was replaced by Peter Bore.

Wycombe then had a corner that was taken by Oakes and Leon Johnson got a shot in that was blocked by Tom Newey and then Town went on the attack and Boshell tried a shot from 18 yards but sent the ball wide.

Townn won a free kick on 66 minutes after a foul on Peter Till from Woodman. Newey took the free kick and went to cross the ball in but Holt cleared. Hegarty then got hold of the ball to have a shot but his attempt to get an equaliser for the Mariners was blocked by Leon Johnson.

Wycombe looked to try and extend their lead and a shot from Facey went over the bar.

Wycombe then made a change on 74 minutes when Leon Knight came on for Scott McGleish.

Wycombe continued to look dangerous and got a couple of more shots in. The first came from Oakes but went over the bar before Facey sent the ball wide of the goal.

Alan Buckley made his final change on 80 minutes when Nathan Jarman came off to a round of applause from the Town supporters. He was replaced by Andy Taylor.

Town went looking for a late goal and Till sent a cross in but Bolland shot wide before Wycombe made their second change with Sergio Torres being replaced by David McCracken.

Wycombe then made their final change on 87 minutes when Delroy Facey was replaced by John Sutton.

Town looked to have given up hope of getting an equaliser and neither team created anything in the final minutes of the game and the Mariners lose another game.