Date: 13th August 2008 at 9:17am
Written by:

Tranmere were first to get a shot in after 3 minutes but Craig Curran`s effort was caught by Town`s keeper Phil Barnes.

Peter Till then got a cross in for the Mariners and Tranmere`s keeper John Achterberg was there first and tipped the ball over the bar for a corner. Tom Newey took the corner and sent it towards Till who then tried a shot but sent the ball wide of the goal.

Tranmere then had a corner on 10 minutes and it was taken by Charlie Barnett and he sent it to the near post where George O`Callaghan tried a shot but the ball was blocked by Newey.

Rovers kept up the pressure and Steven Jennings tried a shot from around 20 yards but this time the ball was blocked by Richard Hope.

Martin Butler managed to get a shot in but Achterberg caught hold of the ball.

Tranmere`s Andy Taylor came close to putting Rovers in to the lead when he tried a shot from 20 yards and hit the post.

Tranmere then had corner and it was taken by Barnett but the ball was cleared for another corner by Hope but Barnett`s corner was caught by Barnes.

The Mariners then took the lead after 20 minutes when a cross from Till was met and headed towards goal by Butler but the ball was punched away by Achterberg and James Hunt headed the ball into the goal. GRIMSBY 1 TRANMERE 0.

O`Callaghan tried a shot from 25 yards and the ball was blocked by Hunt to go out for a corner. Barnett took the corner but Matt Heywood was first to the ball to clear the danger.

Tranmere again went on the attack and Barnett got a cross in towards Antony Kay and his volley hit the bar.

Butler tried a shot after 26 minutes but his attempt was saved by Achterberg.

Craig Curran then got a shot in for Tranmere has they looked to try and get an equaliser but Barnes managed to tip the ball over bar for a corner. Barnett sent the coner kick to the near post and Newey was there to clear the ball.

Grimsby`s Andy Taylor got a shot in that was caught by Achterberg with 5 minutes of the first half remaining.

The final attempt of the first half came just before half-time when Barnett sent a cross in and Edrissa Sonko tried a shot that flew over the bar.

The Mariners were the happier side has the teams went in to the break and would have been looking to keep hold of the lead in the second half.


The Mariners started the second-half well has Till got a shot in within 2 minutes of the restart but his effort was tipped round the post by Achterberg for a corner. Chris Llewellyn took the corner and his kick was met by Simon Heslop and he tried a shot but it was blocked by Kay to go out for another corner but Grimsby did not create anything and Tranmere cleared the danger.

O`Callaghan then tried a shot but sent the ball wide of goal for a goal kick to the Mariners.

Town then doubled their lead on 54 minutes when Llewellyn sent a cross into the area and Ben Chorley kicked the ball into his own goal. GRIMSBY 2 TRANMERE 0.

Rovers then made a change after 60 minutes when Charlie Barnett was replaced by Chris Greenacre.

The 2 minutes later Tranmere made their second change with Godwin Antwi being replaced by Luke Waterfall.

Craig Curran then tried a shot from 25 yards but Robbie Stockdale manage to block the ball has Tranmere looked to try and get back in the game.

Kay then had a long range shot but could only send the ball wide before Sonko tried a shot and again sent the ball wide of the goal.

Curran again tried a shot but this time sent the ball over the goal and the Mariners where doing well keep out the Tranmere attack.

Heslop tried a shot for the Mariners but his attempt was saved before Tranmere went on the attack and a shot by Sonko went over the bar.

Tranmere made their final change on 82 minutes when Ian Moore was replaced by Terry Gornell.

Town made a double change a minute later when Andy Taylor was replaced by Danny North and Simon Heslop was replaced by Jamie Clark.

Jamie Clark got a shot in for Town but his attempt was blocked by Luke Waterfall.

Songo then sent a shot wide of goal with less than 2 minutes of normal time remaining.

Grimsby made their final change a minute into stoppage time when Martin Butler was replaced Peter Bore.

The final whistle went not long after and the Mariners are into the draw for the second round of the League Cup.


Do you have a passion for writing and a passion for the Mariners, if so, Vital Grimsby would like to hear from you. We are looking for a match preview/reporter for this season. If this roll interests you then please contact Vital Grimsby and you could be writing our match previews and match reports.