Date: 29th September 2007 at 6:41pm
Written by:

Alan Buckley started with 4-5-1 for the visit of Hereford United, the same formation he played last Saturday in Town`s 2-1 win over Lincoln.

Town started well and pushed forward a couple of times with Dave Mulligan getting a cross in that was cleared by Karl Broadhurst and Isaiah Rankin got a shot in but was saved by the Hereford keeper Wayne Brown.

Hereford had a chance to take the lead when a cross by Stephen Guinan took a deflection of Mulligan and nearly went in, but Phillip Barnes reacted good to get a cross goal to get the ball.

Town made the breakthrough on 20 minutes, when got hold of the ball in the area and slipped it in the bottom right of the goal to give the Mariners a 1-0 lead.

Town won a free kick after Danny Boshell was fouled by Clint Easton. The kick was taken by Jamie Clarke but went over the bar.

The first yellow was given to Toumani Diagouraga for a foul on Boshell.

Town had slightly more possession to go into half time with the score Grimsby 1 Hereford 0.

Seven minutes after the break Town scored their second when a Tom Newey free kick from the left found the bottom of the goal to make it 2-0.

A mix up in the Mariners defence nearly cost us a goal has Barnes, Fenton and Mulligan all left the ball to each other before Guinnan shot and the ball took a deflection of Fenton before going out of the post.

Hereford then pulled a goal back on 56 minutes when Trevor Benjamin left footed the ball into the top of the net to make it Grimsby 2 Hereford 1.

Town made their first substitute on 59 minutes bringing Andy Taylor on for Paul Bolland.

Town pushed up and had three chances to score in around a the space of a minute when Taylor had a shot that was brilliantly saved by Brown then Mulligan drilled a right footed ball in that took a deflection before Newey had a shot that ended up in open play.

A couple of minutes later, as town looked to extend their lead, Ciaran Toner had a shot that went wide before Hereford decided to make their first sub, Theo Robinson coming on for Stephen Guinan.

Andy Taylor got forward again to have another shot but was saved by Brown before Town made their second change, bringing Gary Jones on for Isaiah Rankin.

The Mariners started to pile on the pressure with more shots, Jones having a shot blocked by Broadhurst, then Jamie Clarke`s shot was blocked by Richard Rose.

Clarke then got a volley in on 74 minutes that was also blocked this time by Diagouraga.

Hereford then made their second substitute on 80 minutes bringing Luke Webb on for Diagouraga.

Lionel Ainsworth got a shot in on 81 minutes that was brilliantly saved by Barnes, before Grimsby made their third substitute bringing Ryan Bennett on for Boshell.

With 5 minutes remaining Hereford looked for an equaliser and pushed forward, a cross by Theo Robinson was met by a Benjamin header but Barnes made a comfortable save.

Grimsby got their first booking has Ryan Bennett was shown the yellow on 88 minutes for time wasting.

Benjamin had a right footed shot in stoppage time that was blocked by Fenton has Grimsby looked to hang on and Hereford looked for an equaliser.

The final bit of action was in the second minute of 4 minutes added by the referee, when Ben Smith sent a right footed shot towards goal but Barnes parried it away has the game ended Grimsby 2 Hereford 1 and Town`s second successful league win.

Match Stats for this game coming later.