Date: 22nd October 2008 at 7:44pm
Written by:

With the exploits of the 0-0 draw from Exeter now forgotten would Mike Newell`s side finally manage to end the winless streak and get one over on MN`s previous club?

Mike Newell started with an unchanged starting X1 but brought Danny North back onto the bench has his first appearance under Mike Newell.

Straight from kick off, the Mariners attacked. Liam trotter sprinting through Luton`s Midfield and squaring the ball to a waiting Peter Bore who`s first chance on goal was saved but managed to convert the follow up to give Grimsby a 1 nil lead after only 40 seconds.

Luton were soon attacking looking for a quick equaliser but they had to wait until the 25th Minute when Craddock went down cheaply and the referee decided to give a penalty, majority of the pontoons verdict? Not a penalty.

Craddock stepped up to take the penalty him self and scored, leaving the hearts of the Mariners back feeling that sinking feeling.

Grimsby had two remaining chances in the first half neither Hegarty or in-form Jarman managed to convert. Has the clock ticked down for half time, the fans were again left asking that same old question will we be getting three points today?

HT Grimsby 1 Luton 1

Has the second half began it was again Peter Bore who gave the Mariners a chance from the off, coming down in the box, with a repeat from Saturday the Ref instead of awarding a penalty gave a free kick outside of the box.

Unlike Saturday Peter Till stepped up and chipped the free kick into the box where Ryan Bennett was waiting to pounce and scored to get the Mariners back in front. Leaving the score 2-1 to the Mariners.

Grimsby were attacking and unlike they would with Buckley they wasn`t sitting back they were going for three.
Hegarty had a great shot tipped over by Logan, to keep Luton in the game.

Luton made two changes, to try and get back into the game, they brought on a 16 year old making his Luton debut along with McVeigh. With Grimsby following not long after in bringing on Danny North to make his first appearance for Mike Newell, he was brought on for Jarman.

With fans getting ready for a pitch invasion to celebrate the Mariners first victory in 19 games, Peter Bore came so close to sealing all three points but Luton attack and then there was heartbreak when Luton equalised in the third minute of injury time, with Craddock getting his second of the game and spoiling the night for the Mariners and the faithful crowd.

Grimsby Vital Says:
Crowd Rating:
With the arrival of the drum, things were set to be louder and better in the pontoon, which in the first half they were louder. At half time the drum was taken off the fans due to complaints within the ground. Grimsby fans being loyal to the cause and persistant, made even more noise with the loudest chant being directed at stewards more inparticular Terry Redrum who upset a majority of fans.

Ref Rating:
Andy Haines made harsh decision giving away the first penalty, but this was made up when he waved for play to carry on shortly after when a second penalty should of been awarded.
Made silly mistakes with some blaming the referee for the goals.

Grimsby Vital Says:
Well what do we have to do for a win?
With Bradford up next will Grimsby find the bottle to hold on for that win? Who know’s the fans are desperate to end this winless streak of 19 games
will it come Friday, we think so.