Date: 22nd September 2007 at 4:48pm
Written by:

Alan Buckley started the game with 4-5-1, with Isaiah Rankin again being the lone striker has Town go their first league win of the season against local rivals Lincoln City.

The game got to an even pace with not much action until the 17th minute, when Town looked to win a penalty but Nat Brown`s foul on Tow Newey was judged to be on the edge of the area. The kick was taken by Dave Mulligan but nothing came of his curling effort and was blocked by Louis Dodds.

The Mariners started to up the tempo has they looked for an opener, which came on 19 when a cross from the left by Ciaran Toner was right footed into the net by Justin Whittle to give Town a 1-0 lead.

Town nearly scored a second when a corner by Danny Boshell was met by the head of James Hunt but he sent his header wide.

Dave Mulligan gave away a free kick on the left that was taken by Lee Frecklington for Lincoln, but his cross into the area was punched away by Town`s keeper Phillip Barnes.

Town had another chance to score on 31 minutes when an out swinging corner by Boshell was headed towards goal by Nick Fenton but Dodds cleared of the line.

It was not long after when the Imps scored, Former Town player Jamie Forrester curled a shot into the net from around 18 yards to make it City 1 Town 1.

Within a minute of the goal, City had another chance when an header from centre of the area by Dany N`Guessan went wide.

The Mariners had a couple of crosses into the area has the half drew to a close but Toner`s cross was cleared by Brown and Newey`s cross was cleared by N`Guessan has the half ended 1-1.

There was a bit of a scrappy start to the second half has Town conceded a couple of free kicks, Paul Bolland with a foul on Frecklington and Rankin fouling Lee Beevers.

Lincoln won a corner 3 minutes into the second half that was taken by Frecklington, he swung the corner in and was met with a powerful header by Steve Torpey from the centre of the area but sent his header wide.

Then came Town`s second has Isaiah Rankin was fouled in the area by Beevers, Ciaran Toner stepped up and right footed the ball low and under the keeper into the bottom right of goal to make it Lincoln 1 Grimsby 2.

A minute later on 53, Dodds tried to pull a goal back for the Imps but sent his volley wide.

City got a free kick on 55 minutes when Toner fouled Beevers on the right, the kick was taken by Frecklington, N`Guessan met the ball with his head but sent it out for a goal kick.

Toner had a curling shot from around 20 yards but the ball flew over the bar.

Lincoln made a double substitution on 59 minutes taken ex-Mariner Gary Croft, who got an applause from the Town fans, for Ryan Amoo and Mark Stallard came on for Steve Torpey.

Fenton and Hunt clashed heads, soon after town made their first sub has Hunt looked to be suffering from the clash of heads and was replaced by Jamie Clarke.

A Cross by Amoo was met with the head of Stallard but was also met with a fantastic save by Barnes.

Forrester got a shot in on 70 minutes but his effort went over the bar a couple of minutes later Till shot over the Lincoln goal has town looked to extend their lead.

Lincoln did not give up and won a free kick after Bolland fouled Amoo, Frecklington took the kick but the cross was saved by Barnes. Then a powerful shot by N`Guessan was caught by Barnes.

On 78 minutes, it looked like Lincoln got the equaliser has Brown headed into the goal, but the referee disallowed the goal for a push on Whittle.

Grimsby then made their second substitute on 80 minutes, taking Isaiah Rankin off in replace of Gary Jones has Buckley stayed with 4-5-1, with Jones now playing the lone striker.

A minute later Lincoln made their final substitute, Frecklington replaced by Oliver Ryan. It was not long before Ryan got a shot in but sent it over the bar.

Town still aimed to get a third, when Jones drilled a shot and was knocked away by the Imps keeper Alan Marriott, then Bolland shot from 20 yards and the ball was caught by Marriott. Newey was then booked for a foul on N`Guessan.

The ref added 5 minutes onto the 90 has Town tried to hang on to the lead but also had another chance to score but a weak shot by Bolland went over the bar before the referee blew for the final whistle and Town get their first league win of the season.

Match Stats for this game coming later.