Date: 29th August 2010 at 4:56pm
Written by:

Games come thick and fast in the Conference with two a week early doors. So the last thing we needed was a visit to Rushden & Diamonds, who having just beaten top dogs AFC Wimbledon look in cruise control. Merrily we went to greet the Grimsby gladiators at a glamorous Nene Park, home to some still shining diamonds far from Naomi’s alleged clutches.

To the teams me hearties to the teams………
Woods made three changes from Tuesday`s winning line up with Samuels in for Bore at right back and Wood replacing Ridley on the left. Peacock was also back up front next to Connell.

—————-1 Kenny Arthur——————
15 Samuels 5 Kempson 16 Watt 19 Wood
7 Gobern 4 Mark Hudson 8 Cummins 29 Eagle
————-17 Connell 10 Peacock————-

Rushden not surprisingly went with the side that had done for the Dons on Tuesday. Injury or no injuries the Diamonds have some decent credentials this season

(G) 1 Roberts
(D) 2 Miller 5 Stuart 6 Osano 3 Robinson
(M) 4 Porter 25 Green 14 Power 18 Johnson
(F) 10 Howe 19 Charles

The Grimsby grinder struggled to contain the Diamonds cutting edge in a somewhat dire first half. Cummins flick early doors was comfortably dealt with by keeper Roberts but in truth Dominic Green was master of the midfield show, exposing the Mariners patched up full backs time and again.

That it took until 40 minutes was as testament to Kempson and Watt as Power, Howe and Charles inability to get on the end of things enough to fashion a clean strike. Arthur saved well from Power and Green drove wide deciding to have a go himself given the profligates around him.

At last the Mariners mangle was undone at a naughty corner on 40, when all went missing at sea to allow Miller to ghost in and head home with glee. Just the one for such dominance suggested the Town could as yet leave the hosts with a frown.

It would indeed come to pass three minutes after the oranges, as Peacock the old seadog swabbed the decks, crossing for Hudson to sweep home from 6 paces. With the wind in their sails the Mariners backed by 541 vociferous shipmates threatened to steal the show for a time but Green was back and very much on the go. He fired low and inches wide from 25 yards as the Diamond edged Rushden rapier found its cutting edge.

With Watt taking the goal kicks after Arthur had taken a knock, he half cleared one to Green, who else, who headed back into the danger area. Howe continued the head tennis, finding Charles who twisted and turned the advancing Watt before beating Arthur with a cool finish. In the blink of an eye the hosts had a two goal cushion. The Diamonds cut the Mariners asunder direct from the centre with Stuart controlling an up field punt before playing in Howe who bustled between Watt and Kempson to coolly finish from twenty yards.

Rushden made it three goals in seven minutes to round off the rout on 66 minutes with Green unselfishly providing the assist for Porter to rifle home. They do say lightning does not strike twice, yet something rarer added a cameo to the game. Man of the moment Green took a corner which cannoned back to him off the post. When he took a touch the ref had to blow for one of the rarest fouls in football surely?

Those who travelled from North Lincolnshire however will doubtless want to forget every moment of this one in a hurry.