Date: 7th October 2008 at 11:30pm
Written by:

Grimsby travelled to local rivals Scunthorpe looking to progress in the Johnstone`s Paint Trophy with Stuart Watkiss making his final selection before Mike Newell takes charge but the Mariners lose 2-1.

Scunthorpe nearly took an early lead after they won a corner on 2 minutes. Martyn Woolford took the corner and the ball was met with an header from Andy Crosby but was cleared by Ryan Bennett to go out for another corner.

The Mariners had a chance when Jamie Clarke crossed the ball in to Peter Till and he tried a shot but the ball was blocked by Cliff Byrne to go out for a corner. Danny Boshell took the corner but the whistle went for a foul by Matt Heywood David Mirfin.

Nick Hegarty then crossed the ball in to the area and Nathan Jarman got his head to the ball but could not get it on target and the ball hit the bar and went over.

Cliff Byrne tried a powerful shot but his effort went wide and out for a goal kick before Williams tried and sent his attempt over the bar.

Scunthorpe won another corner after 28 minutes and again it was taken by Woolford. He sent the ball to the far post where Togwell tried a shot but the ball was blocked by Heywood and the Mariners defence cleared the danger.

Scunthorpe then took the lead after they won a free kick. James Hunt was booked for a foul on Togwell and the kick was taken by Ian Morris. He sent the ball in to the area where Togwell headed the ball low into the back of the net. SCUNTHORPE 1 GRIMSBY 0.

Nathan Jarman then conceded a foul on Matthew Sparrow and was the second Town player to be shown the yellow card.

Four minutes later Scunthorpe scored a second goal when Togwell found Ian Morris and he shot low from 25 yards and put the ball past Town`s keeper Phil Barnes. SCUNTHORPE 2 GRIMSBY 0.

Scunthorpe looked to score again when Gary Hooper tried a powerful shot but Barnes saved it to deny the Iron a third goal.

The half time whistle went with Scunthorpe going into the break with a comfortable lead but the Mariners will be disappointed at conceding two goals in four minutes.


The Mariners started the second half well and pulled a goal back. Nick Hegarty had a left footed low shot that went in to put Town back in the game. SCUNTHORPE 2 GRIMSBY 1.

Togwell was then booked for a foul on Danny Boshell. Jamie Clarke took the free kick and went for goal but his powerful shot hit the bar and ended up with Jarman. Jarman the tried to score but sent it over the bar.
Byrne then tried a cross but Clarke cleared the ball for a corner. Woolford took the corner and sent it in the area where Morris headed the ball but sent it wide of the goal.

Woolford tried a shot after 65 minutes and drilled the ball in from 25 yards but it was blocked by Heywood and went out for a corner. Woolford sent the corner kick in but Liam Trotter was there to clear it.

Town made a double change on 76 minutes with Peter Till being replaced by Andy Taylor and Nathan Jarman was replaced by Tomi Ameobi.

Jamie Clarke sent a cross in but the ball was cleared for a corner by Mirfin. Town then made their final change with James Hunt being replaced by Chris Llewellyn. Boshell took the corner and the ball was met with an header from Ryan Bennett but he hit the bar and the Scunthorpe defence cleared.

Scunthorpe then made a change with 9 minutes remaining when Martyn Woolford was replaced by Jonathan Forte.

The Iron started to up the pressure on the Mariners defence and Forte got a cross in and found Gary Hooper, he tried a shot, but the ball was blocked by Tom Newey.

Scunthorpe looked to slow the game down in thwe final minutes and made a change with Gary Hooper being replaced by Ben May.

The final whistle went and the Mariners go out after a hard fought game that seen them hit the bar about three times and will now look to Saturday and Mike Newell`s first game in charge.


Do you have a passion for writing and a passion for the Mariners, if so, Vital Grimsby would like to hear from you. We are looking for a match preview/reporter for this season. If this roll interests you then please contact Vital Grimsby and you could be writing our match reports.