Date: 18th August 2010 at 1:48pm
Written by: Pontoon Pat

Grimsby 0 York 0 A view from Pontoon Pat

And it would come to pass that over 5,000 trusty souls would bear witness to the Mariners first match outside the Football League for a century at what must become the Blundell Bastille.

Arthur continued in goal with Bore in for Wood at right back, Ridley on the left and the imperious Kempson and Watt in the centre. In midfieldLeary and Hudson aimed to dominated the middle with Coulson and Eagle doing the damage from the right and left respectively. Connell and Peacock continued up front. With Till remaining on the bench York started with Ingham, Parslow, McGurk, Sangare, Meredith, Barrett, Lawless, Carruthers, Rankine Gash and Brodie

But to the game shipmates, to the game???.
The vociferous left side of the Pontoon got the whole end rocking with Neil Wood`s Black and White army as the Mariners attacked the home end after the House of York won the toss.

The Town were first to strike, Coulson firing a twenty yarder over from a free kick with the raucous revelry still ringing in our ears and the football food tickling the nasal hairs if not the taste buds . On seven, Connell managed to get a volley off that was deflected for a corner. Eagle took it, Watt soared at the far post but alas his header was well wide. A superb ball from Eagle split York in half finding Leary in space. He took a couple of strides before unleashing a crisp half volley that flashed across goal and about two foot past the post. Brodie then played in Barrett but Kempson bravely blocked to deflect the ball for a corner.

Barret then sent a freekick well wide as the midfield duel continued; limiting the chances, but at least passing football appeared paramount, though perhaps at a little too much pace. At a York corner Gash got a glorious goal bound header away that Eagle cleared magnificently from just under the crossbar.

Some Connell trickery then found Coulson who jinked, before firing one across the six yard box that begged to be touched home. Alas Peacock could not oblige getting only a whisker on it although Eagle could, controlled and fired back into the danger zone. Peacock headed to Leary but his rising drive was well saved by Ingham.

A superb thirty yarder from deep found caught Kempson unawares for once, Blundell Park held its breath as Brodie who took the ball in his stride before firing narrowly wide. From beauty to beast as the youngster continually blocked an attempted drop kick from Arthur yet was not booked until he ‘did` Bore just outside the box. Referee James Adcock won`t be the worst we will see this season but definitely the most liberal in the way he applies the laws of the game. He got Watts yellow for a tackle from behind on half time right though.

Both mangers kept the faith with existing personnel for the second half. An early Eagle ball allowed Connell a chance at an overhead but Ingham was alive to it and saved easily. Coulson was getting involved too, after a quiet half, and roasted their right before Ingham scampered forth to hammer into the ball into row Z. He also showed he is over his jitters from Saturday by claiming another Eagle cross.
York were resorting to long balls that were going straight down Kempson and Watts throats although Rankine did wriggle free of Ridley down their right only to see his enticing cross roll out for a throw. Our right pitched in with Bore suddenly realising what a gifted footballer he really is. A one two with Hudson saw him tear across the halfway line, beat two, then square to Coulson who fired a stinging effort that Ingam palmed over the bar.

Coulson, now coming more central, controlled a cushioned layoff from Peacock which he dispatched inches past the post with Ingham a statue. Bore ever more to the fore then hit a thirty-five yard screamer two foot wide. The Mariners were certainly edging the shot count. Coulson, again the central threat from 12 yards, was denied by Ingham at the expense of a corner.

Not to be left out Arthur took the plaudits on 80 minutes. Gash, on the edge of the box turned and hit a howitzer that rose all the way until King Kenny`s glove deflected it over the Pontoon bar to safety. You could smell the Balti pies after that one even if the impenetrable Blundell Bastille deservedly remained in tact. That in itself is scope for optimism.
So honours even, with Woods happy with the point given he decided to forego any subs; and most of us would have taken four points from two difficult opening games. Onwards to Hayes & Yeading on Saturday and hopefully another clean sheet accompanied by a scoring version of town.

Grimsby Town: Arthur, Ridley, Kempson, Watt, Bore, Hudson, Leary, Eagle, Peacock, Coulson, Connell
subs (unused): Garner, Samuels, Cummins, Wood, Dixon

York City: Ingham, Parslow, McGurk, Sangare, Meredith, Barrett (Smith 85), Lawless, Carruthers, Rankine (Purcell 65), Gash, Brodie
subs (unused): Courtney, Till, McDermott

Ref: J. Adcock (Nottingham)
Att: 5,037 (628 York)